Sunday, October 25, 2009

Phalaenopsis



I finally got around to using my home made soft box when we bought a Phalaenopsis Orchid over the weekend. More details after the jump.

In order to make the soft box, I cut out three sides and the top of a cardboard box and covered two of the sides and the top with white tracing paper. The remaining side was left open to allow me to photograph through it. I then cut out the bottom of the box to allow me to place it over a subject, if necessary. To create a background I used a piece of black bristle board pasted on the remaining side of the box.

A single Canon 430EX speedlight was used to light the flowers from camera right. I'm not sure what the settings on the speedlight were but I think it was shot at 1/4 of a second and zoomed to 35mm. The left hand side of the flower was lit with the light reflecting off the white tracing paper on the left hand side of the box. The image was taken at 1/200th of a second at f\10.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner