Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Tram Sheds - Glebe, Sydney

Some of the Trams - Glebe Tram sheds
Some of the Trams - Glebe Tram sheds

The Tram sheds in Glebe have been popular among photographers for ages. The sheds belong to the Harold Park Paceway and although they are locked, getting into them is pretty easy. The sheds themselves are two massive rooms covered in graffiti. Inside, there are 7 old Trams and a bus. The trams and the bus too are covered with graffiti.

More photographs after the jump.
A Panorama of the Tram Sheds in Glebe
 A Panorama of the Tram Sheds in Glebe

Last week I read an article in the papers about a proposal to clean up the tram yards and restore the trams. I had a seen a number of really good photographs online and I had been waiting for an opportunity to get down there. Reading the article was the kick I needed. I called one my friends and made plans to head down there on Sunday morning!

Some of the Trams - Glebe Tram sheds
Some of the Trams - Glebe Tram sheds
Apart from photographers, the sheds are used for filming advertisements and TV programs. While we were there another photographer came in with a model for what looked like a portfolio shoot. A second group came in just as we were leaving.  So much for having the place to ourselves at 8.00AM on Sunday morning!

One... flat tyre - Tram sheds, Gebe
One... flat tyre - Tram sheds, Gebe

I took the 7D with the Canon 24-105mm lens on this trip. I wasn't sure what sort of focal length would be useful so decided to go for a zoom lens. I also took along the two speed lights and the tripod. I only used the speed lights for a couple of shots but the tripod came in very handy.

Interior of a Tram - Tram Sheds, Glebe
Interior of a Tram - Tram Sheds, Glebe

I'm not sure exactly when the restoration work on the sheds are going to start, so if anyone is interested in shooting inside, I'd suggest you get there fast. If you want some inspiration, check out flickr or any of the photo guides online.

The Lone Wolf - Tram Sheds, Glebe
The Lone Wolf - Tram Sheds, Glebe

If you'd like to see more photographs of graffiti, check out - Hosier Lane in Melbourne.


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner