Saturday, September 12, 2009

Stork-Billed Kingfisher



Click here for techs.

Despite this kingfisher's distinctive call and the fact that it is not rare, I had not seen it in the wild for a number of years.

Therefore, I was quite surprised when I heard that it had started frequenting our garden in the heart of Colombo. As my luck would have it, I was in Sydney at the time and was not scheduled to head back to Colombo until December.

When I did finally get back to Colombo, the bird did not disappoint. It took only a couple of days before the kingfisher made an appearance. I heard it calling one afternoon and found it perched on a branch less than 10 feet from my bedroom window. The brid gave me plenty of time to get my gear and shoot twenty shots before it flew off.

This is the largest of Sri Lanka's Kingfishers. An adult is between 38-40cm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner