Tuesday, April 12, 2011

24/52 - Eton Mess

Eton Mess
Eton Mess

We had Eton Mess over the weekend and it was a no brainer as far as what this weeks shot was going to be. The dish has been known by this name since the 19th century and is traditionally served at Eton college's annual cricket match against Winchester College.

Lighting info and setup shots after the jump.
Lighting setup - Eton Mess
 Lighting setup - Eton Mess

I used a two light setup for this shot.

A canon 580 EX II was fired at 1/4th from behind the subject on the left of the camera. The light from this flash was bounced onto the front of the subject using a white foam-core board. 
I used the Canon 430 EX II, fired at 1/64th, from the right of camera to create the highlight at the botto of the glass and create some separation from the background.

Although a sheet of glass is visible in the setup shot, I didn't use it when I captured the final photograph.

If I was shooting this again I would like to fire the 580 EX into a reflective umbrella from the right of the subject and use a white A4 paper to bounce light onto the bottom of the glass. I'm still quite happy with this shot.


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner