Wednesday, March 2, 2011

18/52 - A Good Read

A Good Read
A Good Read

This was a bit of a rushed shoot as I didn't get around to taking this weeks photograph over the weekend. I decided to take a photograph of a book and I wanted the final image to have a warm feel to it. Again it was a straightforward two light setup but it took a while to figure out the best position for the second light. I settled on the final image because it showed the texture of the page itself (has to be viewed large) and created subtle shadows.

Read on for lighting info and setup shots.

Lighting setup - A Good Read
Lighting setup - A Good Read

The main light for this image was a Canon 580 EX II fired into a reflective umbrella from camera right. To warm up the light I used a CTO gel. The flash was fired at 1/16th.

The key light was a Canon 430 EX II fired from camera left at 1/64th. I positioned this light so that only small sections of the page and the glasses were lit. This light also created a shadow of the pair of spectacles on the page  to add a bit more interest. A CTB gel was used to cool the key light.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner