Friday, March 18, 2011

Observatory Hill - Sydney, Australia

Observatory Hill - Sydney, Australia
Observatory Hill - Sydney, Australia

I've been going to Observatory Hill over the last few weekends to try and photograph the Sydney Harbour bridge. I was after a couple of specific shots ( a couple of panoramas) and most of them required warm light. However one of them, the second in this post, had to be taken after sunset on a cloudy day. As a result of all of this, I had to go back to Observatory Hill on three separate weekends.

The results, after the jump.

The Harbour Bridge - Sydney, Australia
The Harbour Bridge - Sydney, Australia

I had to slow down the shutter speed considerably to get the light trails of a car driving down towards the bridge. I ended up using an aperture of f/22 and a shutter speed of 15 seconds to get a decent light trail. If I was to take this photograph again, I would probably compose the shot in a way that cuts out the tree in the bottom left hand corner of the frame. To me it just looks like a black spot and takes away from the image.

Observatory Hill - Sydney, Australia
Observatory Hill - Sydney, Australia

I wanted to use one of the trees at the top of the hill to  compose a panorama. The light was coming in from the left hand side of the image and I though it would help define the tree and add another layer of interest to the image while balancing it out. This is probably my favourite image from this shoot.

Observatory Hill - Sydney, Australia

The tree in this shot is the same as the tree in the shot above. I wanted to capture an image of the bench facing the bridge and the branches of the tree worked well to frame the shot. Both panoramas were created by stitching 8 - 9 separate images.

I'd like to find out what you guys think of these images. If you do have a minute, please let me know via the comments. I'm particularly interested in finding out what sort of improvements you would have made if you were capturing similar photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner